The mission of The CUNY Graduate School of Public Health and Health Policy is to provide a collaborative and accessible environment for excellence in education, research, and service in public health, to promote and sustain healthier populations in New York City and around the world, and to shape policy and practice in public health for all.
The CUNY Institute for Implementation Science in Population Health (ISPH) was founded on the notion that substantial improvements in population health can be efficiently achieved through better implementation of existing strategies, policies, and interventions across multiple sectors. With that in mind, we study how to translate and scale-up evidence-based interventions and policies within clinical and community settings in order to improve population health and reduce health disparities. The ISPH leads cutting-edge research across a range of topics, including health disparities, HIV, COVID-19, substance use, and mental health. We utilize innovative methods, including large online national cohorts, discrete choice experiments, quasi-experimental methods, visualization dashboards, and cluster RCT / hybrid trials.
The CUNY ISPH has a rapidly growing portfolio involving several large national cohorts, recruited entirely online. We are recruiting for a database manager and programmer who will support these projects. The portfolio will cover ongoing HIV and COVID studies and several in development. There will also be opportunities to contribute to and advance future studies.
The position comes with a one year hire commitment and further extension is dependent on funding availability and performance. This can be a remote position, as long as the candidate is authorized to work in the United States.
- Assume management of existing databases for ongoing studies
- Oversee day to day management of data systems, including troubleshooting, problem-solving, and data security
- Adhere to strict confidentiality and data protection protocols
- Create and document database functions
- Design and build data reports for distribution to study staff and investigators
- Design front-end systems allowing study staff to perform routine data management, data cleaning, and study operations procedures.
- Design and deploy new databases for upcoming studies
- Communicate with study staff regularly
- VBA programming experience (all databases are currently housed in MS Access) including writing functions for use with APIs
- Experiencing designing and deploying SQL databases
- Robust data management skills
- 2-3 years of data programming experience
- Experience with longitudinal data analysis
- Ability to review and write code in SAS (fine to primarily code in R but the team uses SAS and you must be able to operate with SAS)
- Ability to problem solve, and more importantly anticipate and resolve problems before they arise
- Strong written and verbal communicator—must be able to communicate with study staff, investigators, and collaborators in a timely and clear manner
- Team player
Interested candidates should apply with a cover letter and resume.
THE RESEARCH FOUNDATION OF THE CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/ AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT, E-VERIFY EMPLOYER.