The Institute for Implementation Science in Population Health (ISPH) at the CUNY Graduate School of Public Health and Health Policy works to improve population health and reduce health disparities through research on the translation and scale-up of evidence-based interventions and policies within clinical and community settings. CUNY ISPH is recruiting a full-time Data Manager for the Central Africa cohort of the International epidemiologic Databases to Evaluate AIDS (IeDEA) – a global research consortium that harmonizes longitudinal data from close to 400 HIV care and treatment clinics across Asia, Africa, and the Americas. This position can be remote for anyone authorized to work in the United States.
The primary focus of the position is to lead the processing and curation of data from participating clinics in Central Africa to support epidemiologic analyses of high priority research questions related to HIV care and treatment and care outcomes among people living with HIV/AIDS. The Central Africa IeDEA database currently includes longitudinal HIV care and treatment data on 90K people who have enrolled in HIV care at 21 clinics since 2004 in five countries (Burundi, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Republic of Congo, and Rwanda). The Data Manager will lead the development and operations of the Central Africa IeDEA data environment, including oversight of setup and organization of roles, responsibilities, and work protocols for (1) data transfer pipelines, (2) processing of large HIV care and treatment datasets and research cohort databases from HIV clinics participating in Central Africa IeDEA (3) standardizing data elements in accordance with IeDEA’s data exchange standards, and (4) creating analytical datasets, with documentation, for use in approved analyses. The ideal start date is on or before June 1 2022.
- Track the submission of data by participating clinics across five Central Africa IeDEA countries, ensuring that data submission requirements are met. With each data submission, ensure that data documentation (e.g. data dictionary, availability of key data elements, etc.) are up to date.
- Develop, implement, and document systems for the processing and preparation of standardized analytic datasets in accordance with IeDEA’s data exchange standards.
- Design and support data quality assurance practices in consultation with data managers at study sites.
- Maintain and build upon quality assurance protocols for data processing and management, including review processes for all dataset and analytical outputs shared with internal and external partners.
- Adhere to and modify existing data security protocols and manage access controls to safeguard the security and confidentiality of data.
- Ensure compliance with study protocols, standard operating procedures (SOPs), and other relevant institutional regulations, procedures, and policies.
- Attend and contribute to IeDEA working group and partner meetings as required.
- Review and update data management SOPs as needed.
- Perform other related duties as required for overall study coordination and donor reporting.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Statistics, Mathematics or related field with at least 6 years of practical biomedical data management experience, or advanced degree, preferably in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or public health, with at least 3 years of relevant practical experience required.
- Experience with advanced computational technology and methods, large-scale data manipulation, and the management of longitudinal data and complex datasets.
- At least 2 years of experience manipulating data in SAS or R and ability to demonstrate proficiency required. Evidence of proficiency will be required of all candidates as a prerequisite for hiring.
- Experience developing and implementing data management and data security protocols.
- Knowledge of MySQL and Microsoft Access databases. Familiarity with OpenMRS and Santia databases a plus.
- Strong problem-solving skills are essential.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized, with the ability to develop and maintain repositories of data and data documentation.
- Strong time management and prioritization skills, with ability to efficiently execute tasks independently, as well as to handle multiple projects and adapt to changing priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working collaboratively in interdisciplinary teams and with partners from multiple institutions in the US and internationally.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience serving as a technical lead in data management and/or analytic activities.
- Ability to work well under pressure and as part of a team.
- Experience and ability to travel to sub-Saharan Africa preferred.
- Proficiency in or working knowledge of French a plus.
- Experience with Git a plus
Interested candidates should apply with a cover letter and resume. The cover letter should specifically describe detailed prior data management experience and programming skills.
THE RESEARCH FOUNDATION OF THE CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/ AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT, E-VERIFY EMPLOYER.