The Research Assistant will be responsible for supporting the Dashboard Team at the CUNY Institute for Implementation Science in Population Health (www.cunyisph.org). The Dashboard Team consists of two full time staff members and several part-time team members. This position will contribute to workflow coordination among multiple projects, dataset curation and management, quality review, data visualization methods, and dissemination of information via blog posts, social media and other external outlets. The core work will focus on the development of emerging dashboard projects related to major public health issues and initiatives (e.g. HIV and Hepatitis C), similar to our work on the Ending the Epidemic Dashboard (www.etedashboardny.org).
The CUNY Institute for Implementation Science in Population Health’s (www.cunyisph.org) mission is to translate research into sustainable, cost-effective population-level interventions, strategies, initiatives, and policies with the potential to improve health and reduce health disparities at scale around the world. We do this by understanding biological mechanisms, subtypes and major drivers of disease, identifying program/service/policy implementation gaps driving suboptimal health outcomes at the population level, and by designing and conducting rigorous experimental and observational studies of the impact of strategies aimed at improving population health outcomes. We rigorously assess the effectiveness of these strategies when implemented at scale. Given that many forces shape population health, including those outside the health sector (e.g., political, economic, sociologic, environmental, demographic), we seek and generate knowledge, collaboration and expertise to achieve our mission of improved population health through better implementation.
- Curate, maintain, and prepare datasets from multiple sources for integration with a dashboard database
- Test and review beta/pilot-site web-based visualizations and provide routine detailed feedback to off-site web developers
- Brainstorm and create mock ups of new data visualizations (charts, maps, etc.) to display data on public facing web-based dashboards
- Draft and edit blog posts related to dashboard topic areas (e.g. HIV prevention, HIV surveillance data, Hepatitis C risks)
- Support workflow and project coordination through routine monitoring of project goals, timelines and deliverables
- Collaborate on analyses of HIV-related data and manuscript writing for publication in peer reviewed journals
- Generate and maintain social media content (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram) to promote and disseminate key information, including campaigns for national HIV/AIDS awareness days.
- Consult with team graphic designer on website design and branding and collaborative creation of infographics for dissemination via social media.
- Provide logistical support for webinars, meetings, symposiums, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Competency in management or analysis of public health data (e.g. surveillance and/or population level surveys)
- General knowledge and interest in effective methods to display and disseminate public health information to a wider audience (e.g. GIS, interactive visualizations, etc.)
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Excellent writing, editing, research analytic and problem solving skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work on multiple tasks
- Strong MS Office software skills – advanced proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint are minimum requirements
- Familiarity with WordPress, Mailchimp, Asana, and Google Analytics is a plus.
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently as well as in a collaborative team environment
- Professional attitude and team player