Visualization and Infographic Design Assistant
Title: Visualization and Infographic Design Assistant
Position Type: Paid, part-time (15-20 hr/week)
Location: CUNY School of Public Health, 55 W 125th Street, NY, NY
Closing Date: June 1, 2018 or until filled.
The Visualization and Infographic Design Assistant will be responsible for designing creative and compelling visualizations and infographics of public health data for public dissemination. The work will primarily be in support of the Ending the Epidemic Dashboard project (www.etedashboardny.org), a web-based, public facing tool to broadly disseminate information related to the Ending the HIV/AIDS Epidemic initiative in New York State.
The ideal candidate will be someone with experience in print and web design and basic familiarity of data visualization tools and methods. Most importantly, the candidate will have a passion for visual design with the ability to comprehend and convey complex and technical information to non-technical audiences through effective design.
This is a great opportunity to apply your skills in a multidisciplinary manner towards a high-profile public health issue, the products of which will be widely disseminated.
The CUNY Institute for Implementation Science in Population Health’s (www.cunyisph.org) mission is to translate research into sustainable, cost-effective population-level interventions, strategies, initiatives, and policies with the potential to improve health and reduce health disparities at scale around the world. We do this by understanding biological mechanisms, subtypes and major drivers of disease, identifying program/service/policy implementation gaps driving suboptimal health outcomes at the population level, and by designing and conducting rigorous experimental and observational studies of the impact of strategies aimed at improving population health outcomes. We rigorously assess the effectiveness of these strategies when implemented at scale. Given that many forces shape population health, including those outside the health sector (e.g., political, economic, sociologic, environmental, demographic), we seek and generate knowledge, collaboration and expertise to achieve our mission of improved population health through better implementation.
- Design creative and aesthetically sound infographics to communicate key trends, outcomes, and messages from various data sources
- Create functional wireframes and mock-ups to bolster web development and interactive visualizations
- Develop layouts for static materials like PDFs and other non-digital materials
- Edit images for browser-friendly display on organization websites
- Work in a team environment to brainstorm new and creative ways to display information, visualize data and communicate results to a general public audience
- Bachelor’s degree in technical discipline or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of professional experience
- Proficiency and experience with at least one graphic design tool (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.)
- Must be able to provide samples of work demonstrating proficiency of graphic design and/or data visualization
- General knowledge of graphic design, web development tools and interactive user interfaces
- Experience with HTML, CSS, or a website design tool (e.g. WordPress)
- Passion for visual design and learning new methods of designing data-centered digital and print media
- Have an interest in public health or social policy issues
- Strong attention to detail and problem solving capabilities
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently as well as in a collaborative team environment
- Professional attitude and team player with a sense of humor
How to Apply:
Please send a CV, brief cover letter, and portfolio or at least two samples of your infographic/graphic design work to Benjamin.Katz@sph.cuny.edu.